I'm working on a project to syndicate library content with RSS.... and learn .NET, C#, and AJAX

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

ListMaker - pastel version

Before the progress report, I have a design question. At the moment I have users search for items, select from them to make a temporary list, then they can save the list to the database. Since the 'lists' will one day be live, this allows the user to "work" without the public seeing the changes. But, some of today's models (Netflix) seem to be more immediate - that is, perhaps as the user chooses items, they get saved to the list immediately. In Blogger, I guess the model is that you edit, then save, which is closer to what I'm doing. So, I guess I'll stick with that. But I wonder if even the blogger edit-save model will become the immediate-save model one day.

I worked on the CSS for ListMaker today as it was getting too ugly to bear. I also removed some old placeholder controls. I'm also now using a common method to fill my dataset for "the list we're working on" and also a common method to display a dataset in a tabular format (the green box below). Right now, though, all the controls are still on all the time, and all the buttons postback so that everything is cumulative, which is wrong! I keep saying I need to separate stuff into user controls, but I don't want to leave that job in the middle so I need a chunk of time. Maybe next time.




No comments: