I'm working on a project to syndicate library content with RSS.... and learn .NET, C#, and AJAX

Friday, June 15, 2007

Create JMU User List

Today I created a new user control, "Create JMU_User List," aka Create_List_Fac within Bill's R2 Admin, following the pattern he used for the other user controls. I also added several database tables to rdb-prodcution that I will need for storing info about faculty lists. (Note: the "fac" suffix in the classname is unfortunate - I needed to differentiate them from librarian-created lists but hadn't thought through it yet. I did prefix the db table names JMU_User, which is a better nomenclature and maybe I'll go back and rename Create_List_Fac in the code).

Anyway, my goal for today was to successfully create the user control and make one successful connection to my new database tables. I modified the drop-down that gets librarian-created lists to instead get JMU User-created lists, and this works.

Next step will be to allow "JMU Users" to add items to their lists just like Create List. I'm hoping this is easy since Bill's code already does lots of this. Something I did that might make it not quite-so-easy is I removed the link between JMU Users and subjects, because they won't have subject-rights. They will be linked to subjects, but not in any way that relates to rights. For "JMU Users", Subjects will just help them narrow down searches to their interests, or display News or New Titles related to their interests.

In this sense, the "Subjects" are pretty lame - tags would serve better - if there was sufficient use and users. Maybe I will go ahead and put the tags in place, and populate the tag db with subjects for each existing item.... But that's for much later!

Sat, Sun, and Mon, I will be mostly "off" as Margie is coming to visit, I'm working with Chris on my PC, and helping Meris move.

No comments: