I'm working on a project to syndicate library content with RSS.... and learn .NET, C#, and AJAX

Friday, June 22, 2007

The Birth of ListMaker

Yesterday sucked as I tried to separate out my JMU User Create List from the rest of R2. I made the new database successfully, and installed the AJAX Control Toolkit successfully, then things went to suck. First I made a new app ('LibraryListMaker") and tried to port in parts of R2. Apparently the "Web Applications" template doesn't have an App_Code folder, which is kind of important for beign able to keep random code files handy. So I restarted wtih a "Website" template (it did have an App_Code folder) and tried to port in files again. It couldn't ever find the code I put in the App_Code, though, I suspect because I didn't create the item within the App_Code folder correctly - that is, I just pasted stuff in place and generally munged it. I also suspect trouble with namespaces.

Anyway, this morning I started from scratch and set up a "Website" with a .cs in the App_Code that did some simple string manipulation and I managed to pass it a string and get a diff. string back. Emboldened by this, I went ahead and ported just the dbconnection parts of Bill's common.cs and commonbase and default, and managed to retrieve some data from Jewel into a label area. (Note: Jewel is my name for my database; JMU User Lists = JUL = Jewel). So far, I think the app name will be ListMaker. It was LibraryListMaker, but that's the one that never hooked up, and also that's a long name.

Bill was right that I should start with an empty document. (of course). Thanks, Bill.

Off to ALA now.

No comments: