I'm working on a project to syndicate library content with RSS.... and learn .NET, C#, and AJAX

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Stupid Microsoft ... web server angst

So I can't run my new Web application via a normal (non-Visual Studio) web browser because I have XP Home rather than Pro, so I don't have IIS to serve the web page. And the web sites that tell you how to hack it are dire.

I did install Apache just for fun, and it displayed the asp controls in text format, rather nicely, if not graphically:

asp:button id="importFT" runat="server" text="blah blah"

Had to remove the angle brackets to get the code to display in the blog!
For the record, apparently there is a non-hack way to run ASP.NET on the Apache web server: http://www.mono-project.com/

but hopefully JMU will just spring for an upgrade to XP Pro.

In the meantime I'll enjoy showing myself my own apps through the Visual Studio browser. Whee.

No comments: